Design and Engineering
Planning to build? Thinking about a design?
Here is what NOT to do:
- Undervalue the value of good design and professional construction plans.
- Begin building without custom-designed plans that are fine-tuned for you.
- Start construction without understanding exactly how your project will look – from all angles.
- Seek engineering and technical know-how that lacks design skills and imagination.
- Hire a designer with little idea how construction is done in the real world.
If you disagree, that’s fine. You should find a set of plans off the internet or seek out a moonlighting draftsman. However, it is my firm opinion, based on over 30 years in the business, that it is a costly mistake.
The planning phase is no time to skimp.
If you agree with me, great and I know your job is to find the right professional designer and that’s why you’re here.
Of course, I’m not only one.
But here’s about me:
- I’m particular. I’m not done until my client is happy and excited.
- I design and engineer simultaneously to make sure it does not only look good on paper, but can be built.
- As of this date (Since 9/11 up through 21 July 2014) I have designed and produced engineered construction drawings for 691 clients.
- As of this date (Since 9/11 up through 21 July 2014) I have performed engineering services and certification for 548 projects.
- Prior to 9/11, I designed and built 92 upscale homes and commercial projects. I was the designer, the engineer and builder. It was pretty much just me. I had superintendents at times, staff, as needed, but mostly managed the design and construction (through excellent subcontractors) by myself.
Technology and marketing have changed through my career. My earlier designs were hand done. Marketing was “word of mouth”. Today I use modern equipment and we have the internet and I have only recently began to collect testimonials and produce entries for any type of portfolio.
You can learn a bit more about me on my ABOUT page.
I wish you best of luck – and hope we get a change to chat about your own project.
Ken Risley – Designer & Engineer
- Do you have an idea? Have you seen something you like, at least in parts, but can’t really pull it together into one package. We create any type of architectural style including: Victorian, Frank Lloyd Wright styles, Early 20th Century, Modernist (contemporary and unique), Spanish, Mediterranean, * Note – I’m not an Architect. I’m a Registered Engineer and have been producing beautiful designs for decades. Engineering and Architectural Seals, legally, are of equal value . I’ve written a “tongue and cheek” article about “The Word Architectural” in the link below.Craftsman, Florida Cracker, Hangar (airport) Homes of many styles, Cottages, A-Frames, Mission Homes, Multi-Story Homes, Stilt Homes, Beach Homes, and many more standard and unique styles.
- Winner of the Aurora Award for Design Excellence
- Combining the Art and Science of Design and Engineering.
- See More About Ken Risley on the “About” page.